Thursday, February 03, 2011

getting my act together



From the start of 2011, it appears that my work will be utilized for at least two upcoming shows this year: in April at the Space Gallery, and in July at the Market St Gallery.. more info to come for theses shows soon! But there is something very galvanizing and inspirational to me about being invited to place work, especially since i am not sure what work i will be showing yet, as everything new is in progress.

My bow and arrow set is coming together very nicely, with twenty completed arrows so far, but i still have a long way to go and the ceramic sticks i am creating are laborious and so far i have some trapped in a kiln that won't start, at least half totally unusable pieces which i want to come up with a new use for, and another batch just newly made and drying. Clay is a process..

Next on the agenda, a "western" themed piece with a scalp (ie. from somebody's head), and hatchet, pressed with a covered wagon w/horses. This came about as a response to the show in April's theme: western, cowboy, indian, gold rush... etc. But i also want to finish the "Old Dry Western" pc. from previous posts, which could also be useful for the show...

And my new mold works! (pics to come)I now have four fairly useful and functional miniature porcelain guns, which i am hoping will fire to be about the size of a derringer or slightly larger. These are for multiple pieces and although everyone at the lab keeps asking what their "for", I only have two possibilities right now, and am hoping that the ideas will flow more freely once i see their finished size and appeal.

I know i am really remiss on getting updated imagery for my last two pieces, and the works in progress right now.. which i promise to remedy soon. I have however been accumulating several drawings and some computer-generated thoughts based on the work i am doing, which are what you see here. Enjoy. More to come....

No comments: